On Thursday, November 29, 10 people were let go from the IABC headquarters staff. Another six were told that they would be let go at the end of the first quarter of 2013. This was part of the restructuring plans IABC leadership has been discussing since earlier this year and reflects the need for different skillsets within the staff as IABC aligns its operations with its overarching strategy.
Leadership's initial communication regarding this difficult decision was confined to IABC employees, board members, and regional and chapter leaders primarily out of respect for the employees being let go.
Since the announcement, there has been some speculation about the extent of the lay-offs, the financial well-being of the Association, and the future of the World Conference.
- While a total of 16 people are affected by the restructuring, there will be 11 new roles that will be filled. IABC is looking for a wide variety of skillsets, and the jobs will soon be posted on our Job Centre and elsewhere. If you or any of your colleagues are looking to join a high-performance team that's at the forefront of developing a member-centric association that's rooted in advancing the communication profession, please consider applying (or telling your colleagues about the opportunities). ·
- Plans for the World Conference continue to move ahead and we think that members who attend will see that the event this year will be better than ever.
- IABC is in great shape financially.
As a result of the organization, the current staff roles and open positions look like this:
- Content Leader – Natasha Nicholson
- Editorial Assistant – to be hired
- Managing Editor – Jessica Burnette-Lemon
- Senior Editor, Content – Amanda Aiello
- Content Generation – Caroline Cornell
- Office administration – Joe Soriano
Stakeholder Relations Leader – to be hired (Interim Chris Sorek)
- Director Membership & Chapter Relations – to be hired
o Director Corporate Membership Services – Marie Coppola
o Manager Member Services – Pat Clos
o Membership Development Specialist – Torey Kluczik
o Membership Specialist/Receptionist – Kayla Mille
Director Communications – to be hired (Interim Aaron Heinrich)
o Communications Specialist – to be hired
· Director Marketing & Sponsorship – to be hired
o Events & Conferences Manager – Charles Herrick
Careers Leader – to be hired (Interim Chris Sorek)
- Careers Programs Manager - Mary Ann Boyle
- Careers Programs Specialist – to be hired
HR Leader – Jean McCloskey External Consultant
- Director HR and Foundation Relations – Mari Pavia
Digital Leader – to be hired (Interim Natasha Nicholson)
- Senior Software Engineer – Isaac Chapman
- Manager IT/Senior Database Administrator – Marie Dario
- Webmaster – Matt Caldwell
- Web Editor – to be hired
Finance Leader – Maureen Lennon
- Staff Accountant – Carlos Ruiz
- Accounting Specialist – Godfrey Melchor
- Accounting Specialist – Rosalinda Venegas
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact IABC Chair Kerby Meyers or Executive Director Chris Sorek directly. Otherwise, keep an eye out for further strategic updates in the New Year.
We appreciate all of the support of members and the communication profession as we move into a time that we believe holds amazing potential for the Association and even more benefit to our members. To that end, in case you missed it, Kerby and Chris recently sat down for a brief video update on the organization's strategy.